Saturday, May 5, 2012

Sixpence for your shoe!

Something old, something new, something borrowed, something blue.... and a Six pence for your shoes. Almost every bride has heard the traditional say, but not all have heard it the proper way, which includes a Sixpence. Most people don't even know what a Sixpence actually is. It's a British coin that represents 6 pennies. First minted in 1551 for the British Empire, they stopped making them in 1967. They are thought to bring good luck to the bride and groom on their wedding day. Typically they should be placed in the shoe, but you can wear it as an anklet, incorporate it into your bouquet, or even have your groom wear them as cuff links.
I was lucky enough to receive my Sixpence from the store where I purchased my wedding dress. It was a perfect addition to my wedding seeing as most of my husbands family is from England. My Sixpence has since graced many of my friend's weddings as their "Something borrowed" and the lucky Sixpence. Two birds with one stone.

When placing the Pence in your shoe, I have found it is better to use a little tape, just to make sure that you don't loose it. I wore ballet flats for my wedding, so I placed mine under the shoe liner. It went all the way to St. Lucia with me, kept us safe on the flight, and has brought us 4 years of marital bliss so far. 


These cuff links would make an awesome grooms gift, and are sure to be a conversation starter anytime he wears them after the wedding. 

To purchase a Sixpence for your upcoming wedding, visit Silver Sixpence to browse their selection and to learn more of the history behind the Sixpence.



No comments:

Post a Comment